Why Work at Mountain Sage?
Why will you want to work at Mountain Sage Community School? Because at Mountain Sage our culture is one of teamwork and quality. We engage in artistic endeavors daily. We get to know our students and their families over time because we practice “looping” and work hard at relationship building. At Mountain Sage we sing together at every faculty meeting. We provide a lot of professional development for our teachers but also commit to renewal and create opportunities to do artistic work together, not just with the students. We reward loyalty by offering bonuses when you have been with us for several years. We are attracting the best and the most imaginative individuals. Come join us and help us change the world one student at a time.
May Your Work Excite Your Heart
by John O’Donohue
May your work excite your heart,
Kindle in your mind a creativity
To journey beyond the old limits
Of all that has become worrisome.
May this work challenge you toward
New frontiers that will emerge
As you begin to approach them,
Calling forth from you the full force
And depth of your undiscovered gifts.
May the work fit the rhythms of your soul,
Enabling you to draw from the invisible
New ideas and a vision that will inspire.
Remember to be kind to those who work for you,
Endeavor to remain aware
Of the quiet world
That lives behind each face.
Be fair in your expectations,
Compassionate in your criticism.
May you have the grace of encouragement
To awaken the gift in the other’s heart,
Building in them the confidence
To follow the call of the gift.
May you come to know work
Which emerges from the mind of love
That will have beauty and form.
May your work be worthy
Of the energy of your heart
And the light of your thoughts.
May your work assume
A proper space in your life;
Instead of owning or using you,
Bringing you every day further
Into the wonder of your heart.
Facilities Manager, Full-Time, Immediate Hire
Mountain Sage Community School is a K-8 public charter school inspired by Waldorf education and sustainable living, and is located in Fort Collins, Colorado.
Mountain Sage is seeking a friendly, experienced, organized, and motivated person to serve as the school's Facilities Manager, including managing custodial staff, ensuring the school facilities are safe and and clean, implementing long-term and short-term facilities needs for both our building and outdoor spaces, and helping with various custodial tasks as needed. The ideal candidate will take pride and ownership in keeping our school campus well maintained, orderly, and safe, be a good communicator, have experience managing buildings or possess a deep understanding of building systems, and have the desire to be a member of our team.
Our school serves over 300 students and their families, as well as teachers, volunteers, and vendors who all utilize our campus. The campus includes an 18,000 sq ft building with classrooms, multiple bathrooms, various offices and student support rooms, and a detached modular office building. The outdoor space consists of grassy areas around the main building, a small kindergarten playground, and a 1.5 acre playground. This position is full-time year round with daytime/evening hours and regular holiday breaks during the school year.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure the safety, cleanliness, and day-to-day operations of the school building and grounds by:
- Overseeing and tending to the grounds and facility with an eye for detail and a desire to create an educational space that upholds our mission
- Assisting the administration and teaching staff with needs relating to facilities
- Determining, coordinating, and/or carrying out needed repairs and special projects
- Performing daily maintenance tasks and additional custodial duties as needed
- Training and supervising custodial staff members
- Managing the upkeep, storage, and replacement of equipment and supplies
- Coordinating building, safety, and other inspections
- Communicating effectively with the School Director when facility emergencies arise (outside of school hours, if needed)
- Holding a comprehensive knowledge of building functions and maintenance schedules
- Working and communicating with contractors as needed
- Other duties as required
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years experience in facilities maintenance
- 2+ year experience in a supervisory role
- Operating knowledge of building maintenance
- Hands-on knowledge and experience in the safe operation of a variety of tools, machinery, and power equipment used in performing essential functions
- Working knowledge of office software (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and efficiently complete all activities
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to interact/communicate with all types of members of the community including teachers, administrators, board members, parents, and students
- Self-starter, ability to set and meet goals, and a desire to excel
- Ability to problem solve
- Maintain the ability to satisfy all physical demands, including but not limited: significant lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50+ pounds; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling; reaching above shoulder level; fine finger dexterity.
- Ability to withstand a variety of indoor and outdoor environmental conditions
- Fingerprinting and background check required
- Relevant experience in a school setting
- 5+ years facilities maintenance experience
- CPR and First Aid
Compensation and Hours
Hours for this position are 12-8pm, Monday through Friday during the school year, with some flexibility around daily scheduled hours during the summer. The anticipated start date is January 4th, 2023 with some training hours in December. The pay range is $21-$25/hour. Holiday breaks generally follow those outlined on our annual school calendar with some time off in the summer. We offer state retirement benefits (PERA) and health insurance benefits.
Candidates interested in pursuing the Facilities Manager position should review the website prior to applying. Applications accepted via email. No phone calls please. Please email a cover letter articulating your interest in the position and why you are a good fit for the Mountain Sage team, a resume, and three professional references. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Facilities Manager” in the subject line of the email. We will accept applications until the position is filled. You will be contacted by a member of the Hiring Committee if we are interested in pursuing your application.
Middle School Math Teacher, Full-Time, Immediate Hire
Mountain Sage Community School is a public, charter school inspired by Waldorf education and sustainable living, located in Fort Collins, CO, serving kindergarten through 8th grade students.
Mountain Sage Community School (MSCS) is seeking an experienced and passionate secondary math teacher to teach 3/4 time and assist in other ways as needed to equal full-time hours. As a member of the Mountain Sage faculty, you will join a group of individuals whose foundation in pedagogy is inspired by Waldorf education. Our middle school program for the 2022-23 school year consists of two 6th grades, one 7th, and one 8th grade. This position involves teaching a 90-minute math class once per week and two 45-minute math skills classes in each middle school class, 6th-8th. All middle school class teachers stay in the classroom and assist the math teacher to maximize differentiation. There are regular meetings with middle school class teachers (and the elementary math interventionist on occasion) for collaboration, planning, and mentoring. Our previous middle school math teacher will be an active mentor for our new teacher. There is a possibility for additional math or other classes that could be added to the right candidate’s duties, depending on availability, skill set, and scheduling needs. The middle school math teacher is expected to participate in weekly faculty meetings on Friday afternoons. It is also desirable that the teacher participates in Mountain Sage community events and festivals. All positions at MSCS provide support by sharing lunch, recess, and/or traffic duties.
All teachers play an instrumental role in bringing the vision of our school to life. The ideal candidate will have Waldorf training, or a deep understanding of arts-integrated education, and will be a consummate teaching professional with a passion for co-creation. We look to our teachers to lead in parent education toward building strong support of the educational program. Weaving Colorado Academic Standards and Waldorf curriculum together is essential to the work of the middle school math teacher at Mountain Sage. Upholding positive and nurturing classroom culture, collaborating with colleagues, and dedication to continual professional development are also essential aspects.
All teachers at Mountain Sage engage in summer training specific to Waldorf-inspired methodology.
- Bachelor’s Degree and PRAXIS certification
- 2+ years middle school math teaching experience or education specific to middle school math instruction
- Ability to stand and sit for an hour or more, as well as work outside in various weather conditions as we move to learn on a daily basis, and to support recess, and other needs
- Colorado Teacher Licensure, Secondary Mathematics Endorsement
- Waldorf teacher certification and/or experience
Minimum base salary of $36,000 with potential increase dependent upon education and experience. We offer state retirement benefits (PERA), health benefits, and yearly professional development opportunities.
Candidates who are interested in pursuing the Middle School Math Teacher position should visit our school website prior to applying: www.mountainsage.org. We appreciate receiving applications via email. No phone calls please. Please send a cover letter articulating your relationship to Waldorf education and sustainability, resume, and three professional references. Send to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Middle School Math Teacher” in the subject line of the email. We will accept applications until the position is filled. You will be contacted by a member of the Hiring Committee if we are interested in pursuing your application.
Middle School Math Support Paraprofessional, Full-Time, Immediate Hire
Mountain Sage Community School is a K-8 public, charter school inspired by Waldorf education and sustainable living, located in Fort Collins, CO.
Mountain Sage Community School (MSCS) is seeking an upbeat and knowledgeable secondary math paraprofessional to assist our highly skilled class teachers in our middle school math program (grades 6th-8th). Support will entail being fully engaged in all middle school math classes, working with individuals and small groups to support skill mastery, assisting with prep before and after class, and other duties as assigned. We expect the Middle School Math Support para to work closely with each teacher, helping to uphold a positive and nurturing classroom culture, and to have a willingness to participate in our highly collaborative setting. This position may be needed as a substitute on occasion. All positions at MSCS have assigned duties and coverages such as class lunches, recess, and/or traffic duties.
Hours for this position are 8:00am-4:00pm Monday through Friday.
- One year of experience assisting or teaching middle school or secondary math, or education specific to middle school math instruction
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to supervise students, and calmly navigate various situations with students
- Positive attitude and ability to take direction and feedback as well as to collaborate
- Waldorf-training and/or experience
- Math or Education college course work
- CPR/first aid skills and training
The hourly wage range for this position is $16-$18/hour.
Candidates who are interested in pursuing the Middle School Math Support Paraprofessional position should visit our school website prior to applying: www.mountainsage.org. We appreciate receiving applications via email. No phone calls please. Please send a cover letter articulating your relationship to Waldorf education and sustainability, resume, and three professional references. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Middle School Math Support” in the subject line of the email. We will accept applications until the position is filled. You will be contacted by a member of the Hiring Committee if we are interested in pursuing your application.
We are currently searching for qualified substitutes for Kindergarten through 8th, two homeschool enrichment classes, all specialty subjects: Integrated Services, Spanish, handwork, games/PE, music, woodworking, gardening, performing arts, etc., and our front desk.
Substitute Teacher Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or in pursuit of a Bachelor’s Degree
- Some classroom experience
- Waldorf teacher certification and/or experience
- Colorado Teaching License
- 2+ years classroom teaching experience
The pay rate is $16 per hour.
Applications should be submitted via email. No phone calls please. Please send a brief cover letter articulating your relationship to Waldorf education and sustainability and your specific areas of interest in subbing (e.g. grades, music, Spanish, etc.), and your resume to: email@example.com . Please indicate Substitute Teacher in the subject line of the email. We will accept applications year round. You will be contacted by the Substitute Coordinator if we are interested in pursuing your application.
Mountain Sage is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mountain Sage Community School embraces equal employment opportunity (EEO) and inclusiveness and maintains a work environment that is free of discrimination. Mountain Sage Community School’s policy is to ensure that no employee or applicant for employment is denied equal opportunity because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, or genetic information.