Why Work at Mountain Sage?
Why will you want to work at Mountain Sage Community School? Because at Mountain Sage our culture is one of teamwork and quality. We engage in artistic endeavors daily. We get to know our students and their families over time because we practice “looping” and work hard at relationship building. At Mountain Sage we sing together at every faculty meeting. We provide a lot of professional development for our teachers but also commit to renewal and create opportunities to do artistic work together, not just with the students. We reward loyalty by offering bonuses when you have been with us for several years. We are attracting the best and the most imaginative individuals. Come join us and help us change the world one student at a time.
Head Custodian, Full-Time
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure the cleanliness and safety of the school building and grounds by:
- Performing daily cleaning duties/routine
- Training and supervising other custodial staff members
- Assisting the School Director and teaching staff with needs relating to facilities
- Managing the upkeep of equipment and supplies
- Determine, coordinate and/or carry out needed repairs
- Coordinating safety related inspections
- Communicating effectively with the School Director when facility emergencies arise (outside of school hours, if needed)
- Holding a comprehensive knowledge of building functions
- Other duties as required
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two years of experience in a custodial role
- One year of experience in supervisory role
- Operating knowledge of custodial equipment
- Hands-on knowledge and experience in the safe operation of a variety of tools, machinery, power equipment used in performing essential functions
- Working knowledge of office software (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and efficiently complete all activities
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to interact/communicate with all types of members of the community including teachers, administrators, board members, parents and students
- Self-starter, ability to set and meet goals, and a desire to excel
- Ability to problem solve
- Maintain the ability to satisfy all physical demands, including but not limited: significant lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50+ pounds; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling; reaching above shoulder level; fine finger dexterity.
- Ability to withstand a variety of indoor and outdoor environmental conditions
- Fingerprinting and background check required
- Relevant experience in a school setting
- CPR and First Aid
Compensation and Hours
Hours for this position are 1 pm-9 pm, Monday through Friday during the school year. $19/hour for 40 hours per week. Holiday breaks generally follow those outlined on our annual school calendar with some time off in the summer. We offer state retirement benefits (PERA) and health insurance benefits.
Candidates interested in pursuing the Head Custodian position should review the website prior to applying. Applications accepted via email. No phone calls please. Please email a cover letter articulating your interest in the position and why you are a good fit for the Mountain Sage team, a resume, and three professional references. Send to email@example.com. Please indicate “Head Custodian” in the subject line of the email. We will accept applications until the position is filled. You will be contacted by a member of the Hiring Committee if we are interested in pursuing your application. .
Forest School Homeschool Enrichment Lead Teacher, 2021-2022 School Year
In the 2021-2022 school year, we will be launching a new Forest School Homeschool Enrichment program 4 days per week. The hours are 7:45am–12:30pm, Monday through Thursday, and attendance at our faculty meetings on Friday afternoons during the school year.
Duties and Responsibilities
Include, but are not limited to:
- Creation and delivery of engaging nature based and Waldorf-inspired outdoor lessons/experiences for variety of ages:
- Two mornings/week in our Forest Homeschool Enrichment for Kindergarteners, 8:30am-12:00pm.
- Two mornings/week for in our mixed age Forest Homeschool Enrichment for 1st through 3rd Graders, 8:30am-12:00pm.
- Group management/coordination of all outdoor activities and transitions throughout the day. This includes guidance of children ages 5-9, in various outdoor settings, many of whom have not had any traditional schooling.
- Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of students.
- Supervision of the Forest School Homeschool Enrichment Assistant
- Parent/guardian work:
- Regular communication
- Year-end reports
- Parent/guardian conferences
The Forest School Homeschool Enrichment Lead will participate in Mountain Sage community events such as faculty meetings and festivals as they play an integral role in supporting student development in the Waldorf-inspired model. Mountain Sage offers professional development opportunities to all teachers and assistants.
- Bachelor’s Degree and Elementary PLACE or PRAXIS certification
- Experience leading students in outdoor, natured based settings
- A love of children and a mature, positive role model who is intuitive and observant
- Ability to work outdoors with small children in all kinds of weather.
- Ability and stamina to stand, sit, lift, walk, climb etc.
- Enthusiasm for Waldorf-inspired education with a willingness deepen their knowledge
- Interest in working in charter school education
- Commitment to professional collaboration
CPR and First Aid certification
- Strong preference given to applicants who are Waldorf-trained or experienced
- 2+ years classroom and outdoor leadership experience
- Early childhood and elementary education college course work
Minimum base salary of $20,000 with potential increase dependent upon education and experience. We offer state retirement benefits, health benefits, and yearly professional development opportunities.
Candidates interested in pursuing the part-time Forest School Lead Teacher position should visit our school website prior to applying. We appreciate receiving applications via email. No phone calls please. Please send a cover letter articulating your relationship to Waldorf education and sustainability, resume, and three professional references. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Forest School Lead Teacher” in the subject line of the email. We will accept applications until June 1st or until the position is filled. You will be contacted by a member of the Hiring Committee if we are interested in pursuing your application.
We are currently searching for qualified substitutes for Kindergarten through 8th, two homeschool enrichment classes, all specialty subjects: Integrated Services, Spanish, handwork, games/PE, music, woodworking, gardening, performing arts, etc., and staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree or in pursuit of a Bachelor’s Degree
- Some classroom experience
- Waldorf teacher certification and/or experience
- Colorado Teaching License
- 2+ years classroom teaching experience
$15 per hour, with PERA benefits
Applications should be submitted via email. No phone calls please. Please send a brief cover letter articulating your relationship to Waldorf education and sustainability and your specific areas of interest in subbing (e.g. grades, music, Spanish, etc.), and your resume to: email@example.com . Please indicate Substitute Teacher in the subject line of the email. We will accept applications year round. You will be contacted by the Substitute Coordinator if we are interested in pursuing your application.
May Your Work Excite Your Heart
by John O’Donohue
May your work excite your heart,
Kindle in your mind a creativity
To journey beyond the old limits
Of all that has become worrisome.
May this work challenge you toward
New frontiers that will emerge
As you begin to approach them,
Calling forth from you the full force
And depth of your undiscovered gifts.
May the work fit the rhythms of your soul,
Enabling you to draw from the invisible
New ideas and a vision that will inspire.
Remember to be kind to those who work for you,
Endeavor to remain aware
Of the quiet world
That lives behind each face.
Be fair in your expectations,
Compassionate in your criticism.
May you have the grace of encouragement
To awaken the gift in the other’s heart,
Building in them the confidence
To follow the call of the gift.
May you come to know work
Which emerges from the mind of love
That will have beauty and form.
May your work be worthy
Of the energy of your heart
And the light of your thoughts.
May your work assume
A proper space in your life;
Instead of owning or using you,
Bringing you every day further
Into the wonder of your heart.
Mountain Sage is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mountain Sage Community School embraces equal employment opportunity (EEO) and inclusiveness and maintains a work environment that is free of discrimination. Mountain Sage Community School’s policy is to ensure that no employee or applicant for employment is denied equal opportunity because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, or genetic information.